Well, this first month of classes has been very interesting for me. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot about technology and how is should be applied in the classroom. I have also battled pneumonia, dealt with a flooded basement, and taught my almost-two-year-old to walk in a cast. Maybe three classes during my first semester in the program was not a stellar idea after all. :)
Even though I am losing some sleep this semester, I am excited about what I am learning. Just a month ago I was grossly uninformed about blogs, wikis, podcasts and the like. These classes have opened my mind to new avenues of information that I previously thought were only used by "perps" on Law and Order. So, I started investigating some blogs that follow my personal interests and I found one that is very popular with other moms. http://www.dooce.com/ is a site written by Heather Armstrong, a witty and somewhat caustic mother of two children. What has struck me about her blog and many of the blogs of others is how imperfect they are. Heather does not claim to be an expert at anything motherly, but she writes in an honest and candid way that the masses must find refreshing. Until these blogs surfaced, the online sources that mothers had for advice were HGTV and Martha Stewart's website. Each of these seem to strive for perfection in all things motherhood. I think that moms like sites like Heather's because they want to see that it's okay to be imperfect. They want to see that there are others like them who are struggling to get a healthy meal on the table and check that everyone has what they need for school the next morning. Ironically, Heather was just hired by HGTV to be herself on their website, so maybe they have caught on to the way ordinary moms feel about her.
I really hope I can get everything done this week! I'm still striving for perfection. ;)
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your own post was refresing in its imperfection! :) I chuckled as I read, nodding my head. As a mom of a 2 and 4 year old. I feel the same way! I agree with you about the "real life" blogs by moms. It made me think of the way I felt a few years back, a new mom, snowed in with a 2 month old, suddenly a stay at hom mom, and not knowing anyone in the area. A blog like the one you wrote would have helped tremendously!!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck this week staying on top of everything. You are not alone. :)
PS- As I write this, my son just spilled about 5,000 beads all over the playroom floor. I'm never going to feel I've got my head above water!!
My sister and I have a pact to never get caught up on everything. That way we know that we are not alone and we know that if we work too hard we will disappoint each other ;)
ReplyDelete