Monday, April 5, 2010

Digital Libraries Discussion

Well, my turn with leading a discussion is over and I'm quite relieved. I did enjoy it, but I feel a bit out of my element when I'm attempting to lead my peers.

Though I posted three questions, it was the one that was a bit controversial that elicited the most responses. This does not surprise me in the least, it is much more fun to talk about topics that people care about. I think this is what drew me to studying and teaching literature. Although many high school students do not care about Shakespeare, they do have an opinion about controlling parents and whether sixteen-year-olds should marry. I truly enjoy hearing their opinions on these topics and it makes my class time fly by to have a debate on something they care about.

So, it was nice to hear the opinions of my classmates on whether digital libraries could ever replace brick and mortar ones. Though the question seemed a bit far-fetched, it served the purpose of eliciting responses from those who cared about the topic. Controversy is fun! I really don't know how math teachers get students to care about math problems, I give them a lot of credit because I could never do it.

1 comment: